Hunger Drives Displaced Mozambicans To Risk Going Home For Food

Hunger Drives Displaced Mozambicans To Risk Going Home For Food
Spread the love

Brutal jihadist violence forced them to flee their homes, but now hunger has driven some in Mozambique to risk their lives by sneaking back to their old residences to gather food — or even resume farming.

Nearly 670,000 people have been displaced by an extremist insurgency that has raged for three years in northern Mozambique.

Some have moved in with host families, some are living in temporary shelters, while others have resettled in newly-created safe villages.

But a critical lack of food has led to a brave few returning to their old homes to forage for whatever they can.

A child plays with a car tire in the Tara Tara district of Matuge, northern Mozambique, February 24, 2021. – The place functions as a center for internally displaced persons (IDPs) who fled their communities due to attacks by armed insurgents in the northern part of the Cabo Delgado province. Currently, there are 500 families, according to government figures. (Photo by Alfredo Zuniga / AFP)

lal Dady said that one day he left his new home in the Metuge resettlement camp to scour his granaries in Quissanga, a district in Cabo Delgado province where the Islamists are waging their bloody campaign.

“I got chestnuts and other food products to feed my family,” said the 22-year-old father of one.

Some are even more daring.

Mussa Cesar, 43, confessed that he goes back to Quissanga — an eight-hour walk — to work on his old farmland.

“I have been going to Quissanga for my field. I stay there around three days, cultivating and then come back,” he said, sitting under a tree and playing a traditional draughts game with friends.

“And I bring back manioc for my family here,” he said.

“We just don’t do the fishing, because we are afraid.”

Internally displaced persons await in line during an United Nations World Food Program’s distribution at the “3 de fevereiro escola” school in Matuge district, northern Mozambique, on February 24, 2021 – Food packages are distributed at the site for displaced families from Ibo, Mocimboa Da Praia, and Macomia places that have been attacked by armed insurgents in the last two years north of the province of Cabo Delgado. (Photo by Alfredo Zuniga / AFP)

Voucher programme

Attacks by shadowy jihadists affiliated to the Islamic State skyrocketed last year in gas-rich province, triggering a humanitarian crisis.

The number of violent incidents has dropped significantly, according to conflict data collating organisation ACLED, but the security situation is still precarious across the province.

Local authorities warned AFP journalists not to use some roads not far from the resettlement camps, because they were unsafe.

Villagers in the far-north Palma district, the home of a multi-billion-dollar natural gas project targeted by the militants, are particularly vulnerable.

The World Food Programme (WFP) distributed vouchers in December and January which locals use to buy food from shops.

But Cristina Graziani, head of the WFP field office in the provincial capital Pemba, said that programme was now “difficult to sustain because the stores are facing the same difficulties to restock commodities in Palma”.

Even before the insurgency struck, Cabo Delgado was already one of the poorest provinces in Mozambique, itself ranked among the world’s poorest countries.

The UN announced this week that 1.3 million people in Cabo Delgado and neighbouring Niassa and Nampula provinces are in need of humanitarian aid, with 950,000 facing “severe hunger”.

Tussle over food aid

The scramble for food is evident in the Pemba neighbourhood of Paquite Quete, where many displaced people have moved in with locals.

The locals complain that they are being excluded from humanitarian food aid, despite having taken in extra mouths to feed.

Widow Josina Fernando, 34, who is hosting 30 people who fled from the hard-hit district of Macomia, is angry at not being considered for food handouts.

“One day there was a distribution and I went there, but was sent away,” she said.

Women await in line during an United Nations World Food Program’s distribution at the “3 de fevereiro escola” school in Matuge district, northern Mozambique, on February 24, 2021  (Photo by Alfredo Zuniga / AFP)

But some of the displaced also say they are missing out.

Fernando’s neighbour Nassab Hassane fled from Macomia and now lives with 27 people in the home of a family member.

He claims he has not received any help since arriving in Pemba four months ago.

“We never have received any vouchers, I don’t even know the colour of a voucher. They give them to the natives, not to refugees who are eligible,” the 44-year-old said.

WFP’s Graziani said that aid is channelled to those who have been registered.

She added that the local authorities of each neighbourhood handle registration, “to avoid conflicts between the displaced and the locals”.

 205 total views,  1 views today

obfado

Fado is a gentleman that has seen and toured the world and wants to orchestrate everything via a blog. He is a strong Barca Fan, natural and unassuming but with a brain like a magnet. He loves music, poems and is very inspirational on his write-ups. He tends to write via his experiences and hopes one day that the world will be a better place and his favourite quote is - the downfall of a man is not the end of his life! whatsapp him on 08053129093 to chat him or call him!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *